1. What are cookies?
- Ensure that the pages are functioning correctly;
- Store the preferences of the user, as well as the language selected and the size of the font;
- Discover the details of the surfing experience of the user;
- Collect anonymous statistical information, such as for example, the pages that the user visits and how much time he spends on each page.
2. Type, purpose and how they work
Cookies, depending on the period of time that the user remains on the page, can be classified as (i) session or (ii) permanent cookies. The first type of cookies expires when the user closes the browser. The second type of cookies expires when its objective iss achieved (for example, identifying the user on the webpage) or when they are switched off manually.
In addition, depending on their purpose, cookies can be classified as:
Strictly necessary (register): Essential for the webpage to function correctly. They are usually generated when users access the webpage or login, being used for the identification of the users on the webpage, having the following objectives:
- Maintain the user identified so that, when he/she leaves the webpage and returns later, he/she may still be identified, making surfing easier without the need for a new login.
- Certify that the users have authorization to access specific areas or services of the webpage
Performance: Used to improve the surfing experience and optimize the webpage, such as for example, storing the service configurations and the purchases made in a shopping cart.
Advertising: Determinant in the reception of information about the advertising shown to the users of the webpage.. There are two types:
- Anonymous: Only collect information about the advertising shown on the webpage, without expressly identifying the users.
- Personalized: Collect personal information on the users of the webpage for third parties, in order to personalize the advertising.
Geo-location: These cookies are used to discover the country or the region from where the users access a webpage, in order to offer specific content suited to their locations.
Analytical: Collect information on the surfing experience of the users on the webpage, usually anonymously, although at times they also allow a user to be identified, uniquely and unequivocally, in order to obtain information about the interests of the user in the services provided by the webpage.
All browsers permit the user to accept, refuse or delete cookies, namely through the selection of appropriate configurations in his/her browser. The user can configure the cookies in the "Options" or "Preferences" menu of his/her browser.
However, it is important to emphasize that the deactivation of cookies can prevent some web services from functioning correctly,, fully or partially affecting the surfing on the webpage.
Users can deactivate the use of the cookies on this webpage at any moment by:
Modifying the configurations of the browser, for example.
- Google Chrome: http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=pt&answer=95647
- Internet Explorer: http://windows.microsoft.com/pt-pt/windows7/how-to-manage-cookies-in-internet-explorer-9
- Mozilla Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/pt-PT/kb/Activar%20e%20Desactivar%20cookies
- Apple Safari: http://support.apple.com/kb/ph5042
Other third party tools, available online, allow users to detect the cookies of all the webpages and manage their deactivation (for example, Ghostery: http://www.ghostery.com/privacy-statement).
4. What happens when cookies are deactivated?
Some functions and services can stop functioning or perform unexpectedly, such as for example, the identification of the user on certain pages or receiving information that takes into consideration the location of the user, among others. If you deactivate the cookies of this webpage, it is likely that you will not have access to certain areas or that the quality of your surfing experience will be considerably poorer.
5. Additional guarantees and revocation of the acceptance
Petróleos de Portugal – Petrogal, S.A. (hereinafter referred to as “GALP”) shall not be responsible for the content and authenticity of the privacy policies of third party components included on this webpage. As an additional guarantee, the recording of the cookies on this webpage may be subject to the user's acceptance of cookies during his/her visit to the webpage and the installation or updating of the browser being used. This acceptance can be revoked at any moment in the content and privacy configurations, as defined above in point 3 of this policy or using the link at the bottom of this page.
6. Updating of the cookies policy
GALP can alter this cookies policy in conformity with the legal or regulatory requirements or adapt this policy to new instructions enacted through law. When there are significant alterations to this cookies policy, webpage users shall be informed.